New to Ruger’s line of SR-556 rifles, is the new Ruger SR-556 Takedown AR15 rifle. We feel that this new “takedown” rifle may be a unique option for hunters who travel into the back country to hunt game. Weighing in at 7.6 pounds, without optics, this AR15 is a bit on the heavy side. But, having the ability to break it down and store it in a backpack, or small case for transport, makes this rifle a strong contender for those who like compact and portable. For those looking to hunt big game, while on the move in the back country, this may be a great choice. However, with the suggested retail price at $2049.00, it may be a tough price to swallow for your average hunter. There is also a .300 AAC Blackout barrel kit available to quickly change calibers.
Here are the specs of the new SR-556 Takedown rifle:
Stock: Black Synthetic, Collapsible
Finish: Manganese Phosphate / Hardcoat Anodized
Sights: Folding Iron Sights
Barrel Length: 16.1″
Overall Length: 32.75″ – 36″
Weight: 7.6 lbs.
Twist: 1:9″ RH
Length of Pull: 11.1″ – 14.4″
Thread Pattern: 1/2″-28
Suggested Retail: $2049.00
Features (from the Ruger.com website):
- The takedown barrel is removed from the upper receiver by simply moving the slider bar towards the breech, rotating the barrel and pulling it free – no tools required. Installation is simpler yet – just slide the barrel into the upper and twist until it locks. The takedown mechanism provides a repeatable point of impact.
- MSR shooters that desire a larger cartridge will be excited to find that a replaceable barrel kit chambered in 300 AAC Blackout is available on ShopRuger.com. This range-ready barrel’s headspace is set at the factory and comes complete with a metal flip-up elevation & windage adjustable front sight and two, 30-round metal magazines marked with “300 AAC BLACKOUT” to ensure easy differentiation.
- Ruger® patented chrome-plated, two-stage piston with multi-stage regulator provides a cleaner, cooler running, reliable firearm with superior operating endurance. The two-stage piston provides a smooth power delivery stroke to the bolt carrier.
- The Ruger® Elite 452™ AR trigger is a two-stage trigger that offers a smooth, crisp, 4.5 lb. trigger pull. The Ruger Elite 452™ features a full-strength hammer spring for consistent primer ignition and a lightweight hammer that enables a 30% faster lock time over standard MSR triggers.
- With front and rear folding iron sights, the SR-556® Takedown is ready to go to the range right out the box. The front sight is both elevation & windage adjustable, meaning that when you swap barrels, the zero stays with the barrel.
- The lower receiver is fitted with the Magpul® MOE grip and MOE SL collapsible buttstock on the mil-spec buffer tube. With a length of pull ranging between 11.1″-14.4″ the fit can be perfect for most any shooter.
- Precision-rifled, chrome-lined, cold hammer-forged Mil-Spec 41V45 chrome-moly-vanadium steel barrel ensures accuracy and longevity. A Ruger® flash suppressor is provided and the ½”-28 threaded barrel allows for standard muzzle accessories to be installed.
- Supplied with three Magpul PMAG® 30-round magazines (a lightweight 556 NATO magazine).
- Also includes a rugged, ballistic nylon case; three rail covers and lock.
Latest posts by AR15 Hunter (see all)
- Review of The Garrow Firearms Development 17HMR AR15 - November 21, 2017
- Franklin Armory Releases Limited Edition Straight BFSIII Trigger - November 19, 2017
- Jackrabbit Hunting in California with an AR15 - August 18, 2017