Photo

Smallest / largest caliber to hunt big game with in CA?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CHUCH2015

CHUCH2015

AR15 Hunter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 08:47 PM

Hi all. Newbie here with my first post but probally already answered/asked about. I found this forum through this article: http://ar15hunter.co...ornia-deer-ar15. I heard that we can't legally use .223 or 5.56 caliber to hunt deer or other CA big game? Anyone know the facts? All i could find on fish & game/wildlife website is: §353. Methods Authorized for Taking Big Game.(a) Except for the provisions of subsections 353(B) through (h), Title 14, CCR, big game (as defined by Section 350, Title 14, CCR) may only be taken by rifles using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles; bow and arrow (see Section 354, Title 14, CCR, for archery equipment regulations); or wheellock, matchlock, flintlock or percussion type, including "in-line" muzzleloading rifles using black powder or equivalent black powder substitute, including pellets, with a single projectile loaded from "projectile" is defined as any bullet, ball, sabot, slug, buckshot or other device which is expelled from a firearm through a barrel by force.(B) Shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing single slugs may be used for the taking of deer, bear and wild pigs. In areas where the discharge of rifles or shotguns with slugs is prohibited by county ordinance, shotguns capable of holding not more than three shells firing size 0 or 00 buckshot may be used for the taking of deer only.© Pistols and revolvers using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take deer, bear, and wild pigs.(d) Pistols and revolvers with minimum barrel lengths of 4 inches, using centerfire cartridges with softnose or expanding projectiles may be used to take elk and bighorn sheep.(e) Except as provided in subsection 354(j), crossbows may be used to take deer and wild pigs only during the regular seasons.(f) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle only tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles as described insubsection 353(a) equipped with open or "peep" type sights only except as describled in subsection 353(k)(g) Under the provisions of a muzzleloading rifle/archery tag, hunters may only possess muzzleloading rifles with sights as described in subsection 353(f); archery equipment as described in Section 354; or both. For purposes of this subsection, archery equipment does not include crossbows, except as provided in subsection 354(j)(h) Methods of take within the California condor range. Except as otherwise provided, it is unlawful to use or possess projectiles containing more than one percent lead by weight while taking or attempting to take any big game (as defined in Section 350, Title 14, CCR) in those areas described in Section 3004.5, Fish and Game Code.
It doesnt mention the caliber sizes? I know hunters frown and suggest not to use these calibers but I just want to know if it legal or not in CA.

#2 CHUCH2015

CHUCH2015

AR15 Hunter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:01 PM

Oh. It's probably obvious that this isn't my field of expertise so that is why I'm asking. Sorry if it sounds ridiculous or such a noob question.

#3 CHUCH2015

CHUCH2015

AR15 Hunter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 09:07 PM

Oh last thing to add...it just says centerfire cartridges but no actual size? I dunno...Such a noob. Please help.

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

AR15 Hunter

• Administrators
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 24 June 2015 - 06:51 AM

It is legal to use a .223 for hunting deer in California (softnose, or expanding bullet).  I just recommend that you match the cartridge/projectile to the game that you are hunting.  In this case, the person who wrote the article was hunting Blacktail deer, which are much smaller than the other deer found in different areas of the state.  I would not recommend hunting deer in the Eastern Sierra with a .223, just due to the size.

I hope this helps out.  Please feel free to ask any other questions you may have.

Eric  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users