4 replies to this topic

#1 drhill

drhill

AR15 Hunter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 07:48 AM

Need a recomendation on good scope for a F17-L, 17WSM. 

#2 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

AR15 Hunter

• Administrators
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:22 AM

What type of hunting will you be doing?  Mainly close-in, or longer range?

Eric  B)

#3 drhill

drhill

AR15 Hunter

• PipPipPipPip
  • 3 posts
  • LocationIA

Posted 02 January 2015 - 11:53 AM

Eric, South Dakota, KS & TX prairie dogs and coyotes. 300 yds or less with this gun.

#4 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

AR15 Hunter

• Administrators
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 06 January 2015 - 12:06 PM

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you.

If your budget can afford it, I would go with one of the higher dollar, scopes from Leupold, like the VX-3 6.5-20x40mm (30mm) side focus.  The only reason I say this is if you are using a less expensive scope, all day out in the Prairie Dog fields, you will end up with eye fatigue.  Add a few more days to that, you'll be looking for a better scope.  With that being said, there are lots of mid-range priced scopes that are very good and may not cause you any issues while out in the field.  The ones that come to mind are the Vortex Viper PST line with the EBR-1 reticle.  It also has side focus, which I highly recommend.

I am going to try a more tactical scope when I get my Franklin, but probably switch to the Vortex mentioned above, once I get more time behind the rifle.  I don't want a huge scope, because the F17 already weighs quite a bit, but at the same time, I don't want to miss any of the small Belding Ground Squirrels up in Northern California!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.  I'm subscribing to this thread, so I will immediately know of any replies.

Eric  B)

#5 Eric Mayer

Eric Mayer

AR15 Hunter

• Administrators
  • 32 posts
  • LocationSoCal

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:51 AM

Just an update.  I upgraded the scope on this rifle to a Vortex Viper HS-T 6-24x50mm and it is a great match!

Eric  B)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users